Study Visa

Choose the right program as per your requirements

Study Visa

Program Minimum Requirements.

Study Visa



Primary and secondary schools:

Schools that teach students up to the grade 12 level are known as primary and secondary schools. Primary usually means grades 1-8 and secondary usually means grades 9-12.

All primary and secondary schools in Canada can enrol international students.

Post-secondary schools:

Post-secondary schools are:



Private career colleges and

Vocational and technical schools

Some international students can get their study permits faster by using the Student Direct Stream. We process most Student Direct Stream applications within 20 calendar days, if you meet the eligibility.

Who can apply

To be eligible for faster processing through the Student Direct Stream, you must:

Be a legal resident living in:
1. China
2. India
3. The Philippines
4. Vietnam

Have an acceptance letter from a post-secondary designated learning institution

Prove that you’ve paid the tuition fees for your first year of study

Live outside of Canada when you apply

Have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of C$10,000

Have a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec from the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion, if you’re planning to study in Quebec

Get a medical exam before you apply (if you need one)

Get a police certificate before you apply (if you need one)

Have a language test result that shows:

A score of 6.0 or higher in each skill (reading, writing, speaking and listening) on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) OR

A Test d’évaluation de français (TEF) score that is equal to a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) score of at least 7 in each skill (reading, writing, speaking and listening)

Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC)

Confirm that you bought a GIC by giving you one of the following:

A letter of attestation

A letter of attestation

An Investment Directions Confirmation or

An Investment Balance Confirmation

Hold the GIC in an investment account or a student account that you can’t access until you arrive in Canada

Make you confirm your identity before they release any funds to you

Release the funds to you by providing:

An initial lump sum once you identify yourself upon arrival in Canada

The remainder of the funds in monthly or bi-monthly installments over 10 to 12 months

Medical exams and police certificates

You lived or travelled in certain countries or territories for 6 or more months in the year before you come to Canada, or

You plan on studying or working in:

The health field

Primary or secondary education, or

Child or elder care

Provinces and territories approve (or “designate”) schools that can enrol international students. These schools are known as designated learning institutions (DLI).

If you need a study permit, your acceptance letter must be from a DLI. If it isn’t, we will refuse your application.

All primary and secondary schools in Canada are DLIs. You can search a list of the post-secondary schools, such as colleges and universities, and language schools that have been designated.

The Government of Canada doesn’t pay for the medical costs of foreign students.

Health coverage for foreign students is different depending on where you live. Contact the school you are applying to for more information about health insurance.

On Campus:

Work permit NOT required.

Have a valid study permit.

Enrolled full time at a designated Canadian post secondary institution.

Have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

Off Campus:

Work permit NOT required.

Have a valid study permit.

Enrolled full time at a designated Canadian post secondary institution (ESL/FSL/General interest/Preparatory programs not eligible).

Program must be at least 6 months in duration.

Can work 20 hr/week during academic sessions, and full time during holidays.

Have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

Co-op or Intern

Work permit required.

Have a valid study permit.

The intended employment must be an essential part of the academic program in Canada (ESL/FSL/General interest/Preparatory programs not eligible) but no more than 50%.


Work permit required.

Have a valid study permit.

WP generally issued for same length of study program for people who studied in programs of more than 8 months, but under 2 years in length.

For programs, 2 years or longer, the PGWP may be issued for 3 years.

Have graduated from a designated Canadian post-secondary institution (distance learning not eligible).

Must apply within 180 days after written confirmation of completed studies.

No prior PGWP has been issued.